Electrical appliances such as DVD players, faxes and phones are forms of e-waste, which is a growing problem worldwide and a national waste priority. Electrical appliances are made up of a number of different components, many of which are hazardous waste. Heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury and arsenic as well as flame-retardants can cause environmental contamination through leaching from e-waste in landfill into water systems. By recycling this contamination can be avoided and around 95% of materials can be recovered for reuse in new materials.
www.councilcleanups.com - a team of volunteers collect household items and pass them on to charities and the needy across Sydney.
Donate your unwanted household appliances (if reusable) to charity:
- Anglicare Op Shop– 205 Windsor St, Richmond - Phone: (02) 4578 4135
- Salvos Store– cnr Lennox & Paget Streets, Richmond - Phone: (02) 4578 3560
- Uniting Church – 25 West Market Street, Richmond - Phone: (02) 4578 3820
- Windsor 256 George Street - Phone: (02) 4577 4880
- Richmond 1 / 328 Windsor Street - Phone: (02) 4578 0599
- Riverstone Shop 3 / 33 Pitt Street - Phone: (02) 9627 3756
Alternatively, for more information:
- Visit RecyclingNearYou or call 1300 733 712
Page ID: 40043