Return and Earn
A new ‘Return and Earn’ Reverse Vending Machine has now been installed at the car park of the Australian Hotel at 1 Pitt Town Rd, McGraths Hill and is now operational.
A second ‘Return and Earn’ Reverse Vending Machine has been installed at the car park of the Bligh Park Tavern at 101 Ham St, South Windsor.
The Reverse Vending Machine allows users to redeem up to 500 containers per transaction. The user then has the option of donating the refund to a charity, transferring the refund to their PayPal account (using a special MyTOMRA smartphone application which can be downloaded on the Google Playstore or iTunes App Store, see link below) or the user can receive a Woolworths voucher.
The NSW Government’s Container Deposit Scheme, Return and Earn, started on the 1 December 2017. It aims to reduce drink container litter. About 160 million drink containers created litter in 2014-15.
What is Return and Earn?
Return and Earn allows anyone who returns an eligible drink container to an approved NSW Collection Point to receive a 10 cent refund. Return and Earn will help to reduce litter in the environment and help the NSW Government achieve its goal to reduce litter volume by 40 per cent by 2020.
Containers should not be crushed or broken and should have the original label attached to be eligible for the refund.
To find out what containers are accepted as part of this program please visit http://www.returnandearn.org.au
Where will the Collection Points be in the Hawkesbury?
There are currently 8 over-the-counter collection points in the Hawkesbury, they can only accept 100 containers at a time:
- Friendly Grocer Glossodia
- Shop 8/162 Golden Valley Dr, Glossodia
- The Rail Cafe Richmond
- 16 East Market St, Richmond
- Windsor Newsagent
- George St, Windsor
- Food Works, South Windsor
- George St, South Windsor
- Windsor Metal Recycling, South Windsor
- 22/124 Ham St, South Windsor
- Khan’s General Store, McGraths Hill
- Pitt Town Rd, McGraths Hill
- Hawkesbury Bakehouse Kurrajong
- 64 Old Bells Line of Road, Kurrajong
- Wilberforce Newsagency
- Shop 5, King Rd, Wilberforce
A map of all the Collection Points in the Hawkesbury can be found on www.returnandearn.org.au
What drink containers are accepted?
Most drink containers of sizes between 150ml and 3L will be accepted in exchange for a 10-cent refund when presented to an approved NSW collection point. Container materials that may be eligible for a refund include:
- liquid paperboard
The following drink containers are excluded:
- plain milk or milk substitute containers
- flavoured milk containers of 1 litre or more
- pure fruit or vegetable juice containers of 1 litre or more
- glass containers for wine and spirits
- casks (plastic bladders in boxes) for wine and casks for water of 1 litre or more
- sachets for wine of 250 millilitres or more
- containers for cordials, or concentrated fruit and vegetable juices
- registered health tonics
Can I still use my yellow recycling bin?
Yes. You can continue to place your drink containers in your yellow lid bin for recycling as usual. Kerbside recycling remains very important to our community. Return and Earn is designed to complement kerbside recycling by reducing litter and encouraging people to recycle drink containers when away from home.
Please note, if you put your eligible containers in your household recycling bin, you won’t receive the 10 cent refund.
For further information: please click here to view the State Government’s Fact Sheet.
Please also visit www.returnandearn.org.au or call 1800 813 887. This program, Return and Earn, is the responsibility of the NSW State Government.
Page ID: 101442