23 November 2017
From the Mayor's Desk
It’s been great getting so much positive feedback about our new ‘Plastic Bag Free Hawkesbury’ campaign! Council launched this community-supported campaign, which aims to reduce the amount of plastic bags used in our local area, during National Recycling Week.
Like you, I am very concerned about the negative impact of single use plastic bags on our local environment and unique wildlife.
I recently met students from Windsor Public School who have written letters to me, as well as other politicians, outlining why plastic bags are such a significant problem.
I also visited Kurrajong Public School students on 10 November to listen to their concerns about the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags. Kurrajong Public School has been involved in Boomerang Bags and students have also surveyed local businesses in Kurrajong urging them to stop using plastic bags.
Already there has been an amazing level of community action by local residents including ‘Boomerang Bags’, which is a group made up of dedicated members who create reusable bags from disused materials and then provide them to shoppers at events such as the Richmond Saturday Markets. If you’d like to help Boomerang Bags at one of their bag making days, please search on Facebook for Boomerang Bags Hawkesbury and Boomerang Bags Kurrajong.
Other local schools that would like to address this issue are encouraged to contact Council’s Waste Education Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 4560 4566, as Council would like to highlight the efforts of our local students.
With so many great events coming, I’ve tried to list just a few for you - see Hawkesbury Events on Facebook, the Visitor Information Centre and other websites to find out more Christmas events and markets coming your way!
- East Kurrajong Christmas Twilight Markets on Saturday, 25 November 2017 from 4pm-8pm at East Kurrajong School of Arts Hall, 1090 East Kurrajong Road, East Kurrajong. There will be stalls with vintage, collectables, homemade and home grown items, jewellery, stamps and coins, clothing and more.
- Rotary Market on Saturday 25 November 2017 from 8am to 1:30pm. Free Local crafts, foods and gifts - hosted by the Rotary Club of Richmond.
- Australiana Pioneer Village Birthday Celebrations will be this Sunday, 26 November 2017. Adults $5, Children $3, $15 family of 4
The Australiana Pioneer Village is turning 47! Enjoy a fun filled day for the entire family with music on the stage, birthday games, birthday cake and more! 10am-4pm at Australiana Pioneer Village, Rose Street, Wilberforce. Adults $5, Children $3, $15 family of four.
- Light Up Windsor will be held on Thursday, 30 November 2017 from 6pm to 9pm. Join the excitement as Windsor Mall gets all Christmassy with free live entertainment plus carols by candlelight, bands, choirs, dance groups, school groups, market stalls and photos with Santa. Refreshments available for purchase. Organised by the Windsor Business Group. Council is proud to sponsor Light Up Windsor, a free family events with performances, a visit from Santa and I’ll even be turning on the Christmas lights at 8pm!
- Twilight Markets at Australiana Pioneer Village Friday, 1 December 2017 from 5pm-9pm
Adults $5, Children $3, $15 family of four. This sounds like a magical night as the Village lights up with thousands of twinkling lights. The twilight markets will include 35-45 stalls, food stalls & coffee van. Christmas entertainment throughout the Village with a choir, live music and a ‘snow’ tent. Santa will arrive at 7pm, with photo opportunities available.
- Coming up in December: Hanna Park Carols in 2017 is always an amazing Christmas event not to be missed! It will be held from 4:30pm to 9:30pm on Saturday, 23 December 2017.
This free family event is sponsored by many local organisations including Hawkesbury City Council, with free food, drinks, rides, entertainment and a fly in visit by Santa. There are free kids activities, a change to sing Christmas carols all together, colouring competition prizes and fireworks! More information at www.hannaparkcarols.org
- Windsor Mall Sunday Markets, George Street, Windsor. Held every Sunday 8:30am to 3:30pm. One of the Hawkesbury's longest running markets with stalls, local craft, clothing, food and entertainment.
- Richmond Good Food Market - every Saturday 8am-1pm. Showcasing the best of the Hawkesbury's local produce, crafts and food situated beside the central Richmond Park.
- Bilpin Markets - every Saturday 10am-12pm. Local market featuring food, craft and local fruit and vegetables.
Page ID: 98970