Winners announced for the 2016 Bushcare Landcare Awards
Council recently hosted the 19th annual Bushcare and Landcare Awards at Yellomundee Regional Park, Yarramundi to applaud the environmental volunteers of the Hawkesbury for their efforts in 2016.
The Awards were held in partnership with the National Parks & Wildlife Service, Hawkesbury Landcare Network and Greater Sydney Local Land Services and 12 awards were presented by Councillor Danielle Wheeler on the night to many worthy and hardworking groups and individuals.
The highest honour of the night, Environmental Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Robin Woods for her tireless outstanding achievements and involvement with the Hawkesbury Environment Network. This award is presented to a volunteer who shows inspiring commitment and dedication to the Hawkesbury environment.
Ms Woods’ involvement includes:
- Secretary and Web Manager of the Hawkesbury Environment Network (HEN). See http://www.hen.org.au
- Key involvement in pulling together the Wetlands of the West Symposium 2016 in which over 150 people attended
- Involved in the formation of new Bushcare Groups
- Running Green Army projects targeting wetland and lagoon restorations works.
The Hawkesbury Community Nursery Group was awarded the Environmental Group of the Year for their efforts in propagating thousands of native plants for various events and projects. These included the National Tree Day and Hawkesbury Show plant giveaway and general sales to the public at the nursery to name a few. The group have been going strong now for more than 12 years and should be extremely proud for their consistency and commitment to their local environment.
Other Awards presented on the night recognised the efforts of outstanding volunteers and groups:
- The Hawkesbury Community Nursery Green Thumb Award – Lesley Hayes
- The Sensational Supervisor Award – Melissa Medo
- The Super Strong Bushcarer – James Miller
- The Brave Bushcarer – Jack Miller
- The Fledgling Bushcarer – Noah Kemp
- The Observant Bushcarer – Charlotte Miller
- The Caring Bushcarer – Catherine Miller
- The Super Strong Bushcarer – Max Reuter-Medo
- The Super Strong Bushcarer – Charlie Reuter-Medo
- The Pioneering Bushcarer Award – John & Gaye Parmenter.
The Mayor of Hawkesbury, Councillor Mary Lyons-Buckett praised all the winners and their work.
“Congratulations to all the winners of an award at the Bushcare and Landcare Awards,” the Mayor said.
“It’s fabulous that Council, along with the other agencies, is able to recognise the outstanding achievements of our tireless volunteers.
“It is important that Bushcare and Landcare groups continue to be recognised as vital for the Hawkesbury.
“The Hawkesbury Community Nursery Volunteer Group has 20 active volunteers who have grown over 40,000 plants over the past year,” she said.
“They have also contributed over 1800 hours of voluntary work at the nursery and they all provide valuable services by protecting and enhancing our natural environment.
“I hope all everyone enjoyed the awards and the Volunteer Christmas Party at Yellomundee Regional Park.”
Everyone is welcome to visit their local Bushcare or Landcare group as well as the Hawkesbury Community Nursery and lend a hand. If you are interested in getting involved, contact Martin Gauci, Council's Community Bushcare Officer on (02) 4560 4525 email@example.com or the Greater Sydney Local Land Services on (02) 4725 3050 and join a group today.
The Community Nursery Group meets every Wednesday at 10 Mulgrave Road, Mulgrave (next to the Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter) from 9am to 1pm, excluding the Christmas period. To express your interest to join this group, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 4560 4651.
Page ID: 87397