Richmond and Windsor are two of the five original Macquarie Towns, established in December 1810. They are located upstream of the 20 original Macquarie Farms also established in 1810.
Richmond-Windsor’s role and function has traditionally been to provide accommodation and services to support a rural population and agricultural activity.
Over time, the roles of Richmond-Windsor have expanded to include retail and commercial services and major health facilities including the Notre Dame University medical teaching campus.
The centres have significant heritage values including some of the oldest buildings in Australia. They also have and an emerging tourism base focused on colonial history, rural character, agriculture, environmental assets including the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area and the Hawkesbury River.
Located between Richmond and Windsor is a cluster of equine, education, research and defence activities. Over 450 aviation workers are employed within the precinct, including the Royal Australian Air Force, United States Air Force, Northrop, Airbus Group Australia Pacific, Lockheed Martin, Standard Aero, GE Aviation, L3 Aviation Products and CAE.
The Western Sydney University Hawkesbury Campus, the Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment, the Hawkesbury District Agricultural Association and the Hawkesbury Racing Club also contribute significantly to employment research and training in the area.
Page ID: 76167