Frequently asked questions

1. How is the COVID-19 lockdown affecting Council services?

Please see Council services and operations factsheet. Click Here.

2. When will Council services and facilities reopen?

Council will provide updates on the Website and Facebook when the services are available.

3. Is the main Council phone number operational, and what is the number?

Yes, If you require assistance, you can still speak to one of our customer service staff via phone (02) 4560 4444 or email or call Monday to Friday only from 8:30am to 5pm.

4. Can customers still access customer service?

Yes but only online or over the phone.

5. Are Council events cancelled?

All community events and activities organised and hosted by Council are cancelled or postponed until further notice.

These cancellations support the Australian Government’s advice to limit organised gatherings.

Specific cancellation advice will be posted on our website and Facebook pages.

6. Can I still attend Council Meetings?

Council Meetings are being held online. You can see Council and Committee Meetings live streamed on Council’s YouTube channel. Council provides the link to the specific meeting on its Facebook page prior to the start time on the day of the meeting and on Council’s website  Podcasts are posted on Council’s website approximately a week after the meeting.

7. How do I lodge my Development Application?

Before lodging, ensure you have completed the appropriate DA checklist, and provided the required plans and documents. Once you have all your documents ready you must lodge your application through the NSW Planning Portal. This is an online portal facilitated by the NSW Government where you can submit your DA to Council online. You will first need to create an account on the Portal as an applicant. For information on how to register for, and use the planning portal, see the NSW Planning Portal Quick Reference Guides.

8. Are parks still being maintained? Yes but only essential work is being done. Parks are open but signage has been placed at our larger parks to remind people about social distancing and hygiene practises.

9. Is the Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility open?

The Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility is closed to everyone EXCEPT for operators and contractors authorised under the Public Health Order who have building and construction waste and green waste. It is open to those contractors ONLY from Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm and it will be closed from 12pm to 12.45pm each day. The facility is closed on weekends.

Click here for further information on our Waste Management Facility

10. Will waste services and kerbside collection still be operating as usual?

Waste services are continuing to operate as usual as waste management is considered an essential service. All waste collections including general waste, recycling and organics will be collected as per the usual collection.

Residents are asked to place their bins out prior to 4am on the day of collection. Due to the current crisis, your bin collection may not be at the exact time as in the past, we ask that you leave your bin out and if you believe it has been missed please report this via our online form or by calling our Customer Service Centre on (02) 4560 4444.

Kerbside collection is still operating, and we encourage our residents to use this service that is available at no additional cost to any of our residents who are paying for a waste service collection.

Past waste audits have found that only a small percentage of our residents book a yearly kerbside collection. Kerbside collections can be booked through Cleanaway by calling

1300 889 527. Further information can be on the Council website click here Kerbside Collection

11. How will Council help Hawkesbury businesses affected by the COVID-19 lockdown?

Please visit here for information and support for business.

12. Are Council volunteer programs continuing as usual?

Volunteers activities have currently been suspended.

13. Will Council still provide the opportunity for the community to have their say on projects going ahead in the Hawkesbury?

Council is currently working through which projects they will be able to deliver in the current environment with the staff available. To have your say on Council projects that are proceeding,


14. Has there been any increase to waste and cleaning services because of the coronavirus?

The park cleaning schedule is currently the same however toilets, handles, doors, taps and bin lids are being disinfected daily.

15. What support services are available to me?

Hawkesbury has a number of local support services that continue to work hard to assist locals in this challenging time. Visit here.

16. Is Council offering financial/rates relief?

Call Council on (02) 4560 4444 or visit our website.

17. Where can I get vaccinated?

Go to NSW Health’s vaccine information to book for a vaccine or to find locations for walk-in clinics

18. Do I need to wear mask?

From 12.01am Monday, 23 August 2021, masks will be mandatory when outside your home, except when exercising.

Additional Information

If you have any concerns of community member breaching the current movement or social distancing rules, please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Useful links

NSW Health websiteStay at homeGet testedGet vaccinatedAuthorised worker priority vaccine appointmentsTest and isolate payment |  >AUSLAN updatesTranslated information from SBSHealth alertCase numbersCheck your symptomsSchool informationGatherings and vulnerable groupsMessages from the MayorFact sheets, videos and guidelines

Workers from LGAs of concern

If you live in a Local Government Area of concern and work in the Hawkesbury, or if you live in the Hawkesbury and work in an LGA of concern, this is important information to read:

From 12.01am Monday, 23 August the following new restrictions around authorised workers from the LGAs of concern will be introduced:

  • Childcare workers and disability support workers who live or work in the LGAs of concern must have their first vaccination dose by 30 August;
  • Authorised workers who work outside their LGA of concern are only permitted to work if rapid antigen testing is implemented at their work-site or they have had their first vaccination dose by 30 August.

From 12.01am Saturday, 28 August the following new restrictions around authorised workers from the LGAs of concern will be introduced:

  • Authorised workers from the LGAs of concern are required to carry a permit from Service NSW declaring that they are an authorised worker and cannot work from home; and
  • Anyone entering an LGA of concern for the purposes of work must carry a work permit issued by Service NSW.

From 12.01am Monday, 23 August, workers from the Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland and Fairfield LGAs will no longer have to have been tested for COVID-19 in the previous 72 hours to work outside their LGA.

Page ID: 189829

Dark mode
High contrast