Step 9 – What other approvals do I need?

If your proposal involves building works you MUST apply for and obtain a Construction Certificate (CC) approval BEFORE you are able to start building or earth works.  The development consent will state whether or not a Construction Certificate is required.  Generally the development that does NOT require Construction Certificates is limited to *demolition applications and applications involving a change of use of a shop or office where there are no building works proposed.

A Construction Certificate can be obtained either from Council or an Accredited Certifier (private certifier).  A list of Accredited Certifiers can be obtained from the Building Professionals Board of NSW.  Council has a team of building and engineering certifiers who are experienced, qualified professionals.  You can discuss your CC with Council (and get a competitive fee quote prior to CC lodgement) by contacting the Customer Service Centre on (02) 4560 4444.

Prior to the commencement of work applicants must appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA).  This can either be Council or a private certifier.  If Council is not the PCA notice must be provided in writing of who has been appointed as the PCA.  Irrespective of who has been appointed as the PCA, you must give 2 days’ notice in writing of your intention to start work.  *NOTE: This notice is also required in conjunction with applications involving demolition where no Construction Certificate is required and no PCA is appointed.

Page ID: 64852