What is the Hawkesbury Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel?
The Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel (IHAP), also known as the Local Planning Panel, is a group of experts and local community members who will assess certain Development Applications (DAs) and Local Environmental Planning Proposals (LEPs) submitted to Council.
From 1 March 2018, it is mandatory for all local councils in the Sydney area, including Hawkesbury City Council, to have in place an IHAP to determine applications with a high level of public interest, sensitivity, strategic importance, or risk of corruption. Prior to March 2018, these types of applications may have been determined by Councillors at Ordinary Council Meetings. These applications will now be determined at public IHAP meetings, which will be separate from Ordinary Council Meetings.
The criteria for which types of applications must be determined by an IHAP has been set by the NSW Minister for Planning, and more information on this criteria is available under the links below.
Applications which are not required to be determined by the IHAP will be determined by Council staff, or by the Sydney West City Planning Panel.
Council encourages residents and other local community members to participate in the IHAP process by addressing the Panel at its public meetings, which will be held in the Council Chambers at 366 George Street, Windsor, on the third Thursday of each month, except where there are no agenda items for that month.
- Code of Conduct for Local Planning Panel Members (pdf - 185KB)
- Hawkesbury IHAP - Factsheet - 2018 May (pdf - 233.8 KB)
- IHAP Operational Procedures (pdf - 251KB)
- Referral criteria
- NSW Planning & Environment IHAP website
For any further enquiries relating to the Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel, please contact Council's Manager Corporate Services and Governance (02) 4560 4426.
For enquiries about other assessment of development applications and planning proposals, please contact Council.
- Phone (02) 4560 4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enquiries by phone or in person can be made to the Customer Service Unit from 8.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri
- A Duty Officer is available in person from 8.30am - 1pm Mon - Fri and will return calls from 2pm – 5pm Mon- Fri
- For detailed enquiries please provide a written request and we will respond in writing
Page ID: 106648