28 September 2017
From the Mayor's Desk
- Congratulations to all the winners of the 2017 Local Business Awards run by Precedent Productions Pty Ltd. Various awards were presented including Business of the Year, Youth Business Person of the Year and the Community Access and Inclusion Award, which acknowledges initiatives from business that improve accessibility. Council has been a major sponsor of the Local Business Awards over many years to help support the local business community. Visit https://thebusinessawards.com.au to see all the winners, including Business Person of the Year, Karen Lebsanft of Kurrajong Kitchens.
- You haven’t missed the Sydney Blues & Roots Festival, relax! I am very happy to report that the Ninth Annual Sydney Blues & Roots Festival, proudly sponsored by Council, will be held on Friday, December through to Sunday, 3 December, for more details in the lead up to the event, visit http://sydneybluesandrootsfestival.com
- Did you know that today is Right to Know Day?
Right to Know Day, 28 September 2017, is an international, annual event that aims to increase awareness of people’s right to access government information and open, transparent governance.
NSW is marking the occasion as Right to Know Week from 25 September to 1 October 2017 to raise awareness about access to government information in NSW.
I am proud to tell you that I have signed up as a Right to Know Champion for Hawkesbury City Council. This year's theme is 'Right to Information: Open and accountable government and the media's role' in which:
- Open government builds community trust
- Government transparency strengthens community participation and our democracy
- Community access to government-held information keeps us accountable and transparent.
This means that:
- You have a right to access government information
- We have a responsibility to release government information
- Communities have the right to know, and governments have a responsibility to share.
Visit http://www.ipc.nsw.gov.au/news-media/events/right-know-week-2017 for more information.
- Jenny Joyce will be the guest speaker at the next Hawkesbury Family History Group meeting on Wednesday, 11 October and she will explain the many online resources available about London families. A lot of family history records can now be found online including births, deaths and marriage registers, census records, newspapers, wills, criminal records and much more.
Jenny Joyce has been researching her own family history for many years, and is also a researcher, lecturer, teacher and writer. She is currently the President of Ku-ring-gai Historical Society.
I encourage anyone interested to attend this free event. The meeting starts at 10am and bookings are not required. Refreshments will be available after the meeting. The Library is located at 300 George Street, Windsor.
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Hawkesbury Australia Day Awards. The awards are a great way for the community to recognise outstanding people in the Hawkesbury. Community members can nominate in one or more of nine categories including Citizen/Young Citizen of the Year, Local Hero and Volunteer of the Year.
It’s wonderful to see an abundance of worthy individuals and organisations are nominated each year for these awards and I’m looking forward to seeing the list of nominees for the 2018. As a special thank you, all nominators will go into a draw to win one of five $100 Coles/Myer gift cards.
You can nominate in one or more of these categories:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Local Hero Award
- Volunteer of the Year
- Community Arts Award
- Cultural Heritage Award
- Environmental Award
Council’s Civic and Citizenship Committee also makes nominations for the Commemorative Plaque and the Community Organisation of the Year. The Committee is responsible for assessing all nominations received, with judging to take place in early December.
The winners will be announced on Australia Day, Friday, 26 January 2018 at a special awards presentation. Nominations close on Friday, 10 November 2017 at 5pm. Visit www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au for more information - all nominations need to be completed online this year.
Page ID: 98890