Becoming an Australian Citizen is a very special occasion and an important decision that will impact your and future of your children
Hawkesbury City Council hosts two (2) Citizenship Ceremonies a year for residents who have applied to become Australian Citizens through the Department of Home Affairs. If you have applied for Citizenship, the Department of Home Affairs will notify you of the date and time of your ceremony. If you have any enquiries about the date of your ceremony call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 881.
The benefits that come with permanent residence, the legal status of Australian Citizenship carries with it the right to:
- Vote and elect Australia's Government
- Stand for public office or nominate for election to Parliament
- Apply for an Australian passport and leave and enter the country without an entry visa
- Seek consular assistance from Australia's diplomatic representatives while overseas
- Apply to enlist in the armed forces and for government jobs
- Register children as Australian Citizens by descent
Citizenship Ceremonies in the Hawkesbury
Once your Australian Citizenship application is processed by the Department of Home Affairs you will receive a letter advising you that your application has been successful.
The Department of Home Affairs advises that clients are required to wait up to 12 months to be invited to attend an Australian Citizenship Ceremony and be presented with your Australian Citizenship certificate.
Once a candidate receives a letter from the Department of Home Affairs advising Australian Citizenship has been approved you must:
- Wait for an invitation letter from the Department of Home Affairs to invite you to attend an Australian Citizenship ceremony. This invitation letter will include the date, time and location of the ceremony. Attendance to a ceremony to become a Australian Citizen is a privilege and is by invitation only.
- If you are invited to attend a ceremony and do not attend, you will need to wait until you are invited to a new ceremony. Failure to attend further ceremonies may result in forfeiting your Australian Citizenship.
Council does not determine who will attend the various ceremonies and does not send letters to the candidates.
All citizenship information is handled by the Department of Home Affairs, not Hawkesbury City Council, including allocation of ceremony dates and times. The Department of Home Affairs will not under any circumstances move people forward on the list or give preference to attend a ceremony.
Upcoming Citizenship Ceremonies
Ceremony Dates for 2020
- Sunday 26 January, 2020 - Australia Day
- Thursday 17 September, 2020 - National Citizenship day - to be confirmed
If you would like information regarding becoming an Australian Citizen visit the Department of Home Affairs Website or Information Line 131 881
If you have been approved for Australian Citizenship, ask for the Citizenship Ceremonies section.
Page ID: 119870