Council to receive $300,000 in heritage grants
Hawkesbury City Council has been awarded three fully funded $100,000 heritage grants under the Heritage Near Me program from the Office of Environment and Heritage.
It was welcome news for the Mayor of Hawkesbury, Councillor Mary Lyons-Buckett.
“Heritage is big part of the Hawkesbury identity and it’s something we want to promote for tourism and for our local community,” Councillor Mary Lyons-Bucket said.
“Some of the most interesting heritage listed private and commercial properties in Australia are right here in the Hawkesbury and they are part of our national heritage.
“It’s pleasing that Council has been successful in its heritage grant applications,” she said.
“Council made two applications and we are also assisting in the project management of a third grant relating to privately owned sites.”
Grant details below.
Project Plan 1: Hawkesbury Community Heritage Study
This Project proposes the development of a Hawkesbury Heritage Study and Inventory Sheets, with the aim of providing an overall Local Government Area Heritage Study for the Hawkesbury.
The proposed Heritage Study aims to connect the Hawkesbury community with its heritage.
Council’s Heritage Advisory Committee and Working Group will engage the overall community to:
- identify the community’s opportunities, challenges and priorities for future heritage management
- identify what actions should be taken to continue to conserve, and
- promote and manage the City’s heritage assets in a positive way.
The proposed study will also consider the combined heritage asset values through heritage groupings and conservation areas, and it will allow Council and the Heritage of Western Sydney group to update its recently launched Heritage App. It will also provide material for the development of a ‘Hawkesbury Heritage Festival’ to coincide with a Heritage Near Me Road Show event to be held in April 2019, and is related to developing a pilot Heritage Education and Skills Centre in the Hawkesbury (Project Plan 3).
Project Plan 2: Hawkesbury LGA – Privately Owned Heritage Remediation (Stage 1): Schedule of Remediation Works
This Project is the first of two stages (Stages 1 & 2) that accommodates the 25 individual Expressions of Interest Local Heritage Strategic Projects applications from heritage property owners in the Hawkesbury City Local Government area. Stage 1 is the preparation of a Schedule of Remediation Works to encompass all the private owner Expressions of Interest Local Heritage Strategic Projects applicants. The outcome shall inform the scope of these works in the next stage of delivery, Stage 2, to be delivered by heritage builders.
None of these works will be directly procured by Heritage Near Me. All building works will be procured and project managed by the individual applicants, once Local Heritage Strategic Projects funds are distributed using the standard funding agreement.
This project is the foundation for a Hawkesbury Heritage Festival/Heritage Near Me RoadShow event and a Heritage Education and Skills Centre.
Project Plan 3: Community Conservation of the Historic Cemeteries of the Hawkesbury LGA
Conservation and management of the Historic Cemeteries of the Hawkesbury creates an opportunity for the Hawkesbury community to actively participate in the management, research and conservation of the cemeteries throughout the Hawkesbury Local Government area via:
- two-day skills workshop/training program for volunteers, to include research, recording and conservation actions
- trades training in stone conservation
- development of a Conservation Management Plan for the local cemeteries
- implementation of a signage plan to promote each site and significant people and
- community research of the local cemeteries to support the development of a historical heritage walking trail.
- identify the community’s opportunities, challenges and priorities for future heritage management, and
- identify what actions should be taken to continue to conserve, promote and manage the City’s heritage assets in a positive way.
To find out about some of the great heritage sites around the Hawkesbury visit www.discoverthehawkesbury.com.au/heritage
Page ID: 111267