Hawkesbury Floodplain Risk Management Study
Hawkesbury City Council has received funding for two flood related projects under the Office of Environment and Heritage Floodplain Management Program 2019-2020.
Receiving this grant funding represents a significant achievement for Hawkesbury City Council and completing the projects will provide Council and the Hawkesbury community with extremely valuable plans to inform a range of flood related issues. The members of the Flood Plain Risk Management Advisory Committee are to be commended for their commitment and assistance towards Council successfully gaining these two grants.
Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan
for MacDonald River, Colo River, Webbs and Greens Creek
Council has received $147,333 for this project which will investigate flooding and flood risk management measures for the Colo River, MacDonald River, Webbs Creek, Greens Creek and their respective tributaries.
This project will provide Council and community members with essential information for land use planning and emergency management decision making. Some intended outcomes will include:
- an understanding of flood risk in catchments where extended isolation and risk to life is present and
- a portfolio of flood management options including engineering works, evacuation planning and appropriate development controls.
Review of Hawkesbury Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan 2012
Council has received $53,333 for this project which will involve reviewing the Hawkesbury Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan 2012 considering the release of the Regional Flood Study for the Hawkesbury Nepean Valley by Infrastructure NSW and updated requirements.
This project aims to update the Hawkesbury Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan using the Regional Flood Study data and to review the Plan in respect to management of flood prone land through land use planning that incorporates current best practice.
Infrastructure NSW has developed a Regional Flood Study for the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley, which has now been released. This new Regional Flood Study provides the most up-to-date flood information for the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley based on current modelling techniques.
The revised Study and Plan will:
- use the current Australian Rainfall and Runoff methodology
- update flood data by using the recently completed Regional Flood Study by Infrastructure NSW
- use the updated flood data to revise planning controls to mitigate flood risk for future developments
- use the updated flood data to estimate insurance in the modelled catchments.
Page ID: 141236