Hawkesbury’s Thank You Street Parade and Festival
On Sunday, 29 March 2020, Hawkesbury City Council will proudly host a Thank You Street Parade at 11am along Windsor Street, Richmond followed by a Festival from midday at Richmond Park to thank all emergency services volunteers and staff for their efforts during the 2019/2020 bushfires.
The Mayor of Hawkesbury, Councillor Barry Calvert is encouraging everyone to come along to the Street Parade and thank our emergency services organisations.
“There was an incredible effort from our emergency services from far and wide to protect and minimise the impact of the fires on the Hawkesbury – volunteers and staff from the Hawkesbury Rural Fire Service, NSW Rural Fire Service, NSW Police, National Parks and Wildlife Service, RAAF, Army, State Emergency Service and overseas assistance from Canada and New Zealand too,” Mayor Calvert said.
“The Hawkesbury community has experienced an extremely tough time over spring 2019 and summer 2020 from the bushfires that significantly impacted our community.
“There has been the loss of properties, businesses, native habitat, stock and wildlife across our communities in Upper Colo, Colo Heights, Colo, Bilpin and the Macdonald Valley,” he said.
“Just like my family, our community members had to evacuate their homes and their businesses, move their loved ones and animals and take their possessions during the fires. Rural Fire Service volunteers had to leave their own homes unprotected, and miss precious family time over Christmas, the New Year and the summer school holidays while they fought enormous fires for us.
“Now is the time for us to thank them, and acknowledge their ongoing dedication to our Hawkesbury community and the communities beyond us,” the Mayor said.
“So, bring your family and friends for a picnic. Come along and say thank you directly to our emergency services volunteers and staff and enjoy a special community fun day to celebrate our emergency services.”
Street Parade details
- Sunday, 29 March
- Parade commences: 11am at Windsor Street, Richmond
- Festival commences: Midday at Richmond Oval and Park
- Official Proceedings: 12:30pm at Richmond Oval
- Emergency Services Parade – Hawkesbury RFS Brigades, NSW SES Hawkesbury Unit, National Parks and Wildlife, RAAF and Army, Hawkesbury Fire & Rescue, NSW Ambulance – Hawkesbury Unit
- Rides at $2 per ride
- FREE Activities: face painting, bubble soccer, a circus playground, outdoor/ backyard games
- Food – a variety of food vendors will attend including the Hawkesbury Rotary and Lions Club providing a sausage sizzle. Local cafes, businesses and take away food outlets will be open
- Entertainment stage – Local performers from the Hawkesbury
- Official Proceedings will include a presentation to all volunteer and community groups that assisted during the fires
- Speeches from the Mayor, Hawkesbury RFS Superintendent Karen Hodges plus other dignitaries
- Emergency Services Display
- RFS firetrucks display
- SES, Police and RAAF displays
How to get there
1. Plan your trip to the Hawkesbury Thank You Parade and Festival
Consider Road closures, access roads to parking venues and parking options – see below.
2. Choose the best options to TRAVEL and PARK to ensure you and your family arrive on time.
By Rail - Trains run every ½ hour to Richmond Station on Sundays on the T1 line – please see page 57-61 of www.transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/93-T1-Western-Line-20200105.pdf
By Bus - Please refer to - https://transportnsw.info/trip#/
By Car - Two free parking venues Hanna Park and Hawkesbury Park and Hawkesbury Showground. Please ensure you follow the advice below.
Shuttle buses will be provided from Option A and B into Richmond Town Centre. All passengers will be dropped off and picked up from Richmond Club car park (opposite the club).
- PARKING OPTION A – Hanna Park and Hawkesbury Park, Beaumont Ave, North Richmond
- For residents from the Western Side of North Richmond Bridge - North Richmond, Kurrajong, Bilpin and surrounds
PARKING OPTION B - Hawkesbury Showground, Racecourse Road, Clarendon
Entry via Gate 2
- For residents from Richmond, Windsor, South Windsor and surrounds
- Please note there is a large event next to the Showground at Hawkesbury Race Club on the same day. Entering via Richmond Road and Racecourse Road is highly recommended to avoid traffic congestion.
3. Leave home early – as there are several events in the Hawkesbury on Sunday, 29 March.
Page ID: 144900