Public Exhibition of Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy
Hawkesbury City Council’s Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy is available to view and comment on Council’s community engagement website, Your Hawkesbury – Your Say at www.yourhawkesbury-yoursay.com.au and at Council’s Administration Building, 366 George Street, Windsor until Monday, 12 October 2020.
The Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy has been prepared in order to set a clear plan for housing in the Hawkesbury Local Government Area for the next 10 and 20 years. Preparation of a Local Housing Strategy is a State Government requirement of all councils in Metropolitan Sydney.
Local Housing Strategies must address the Sydney Region Plan and Western City District Plan, including housing targets. They must also align housing growth with the necessary supporting infrastructure and social services. Strategic studies such as this are required to inform the development of the Local Strategic Planning Statement.
The key issues to emerge from housing research associated with the Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy include:
- the need to accommodate steady growth – five year target of 1,150 dwellings and growth to continue to 2036
- limited diversity in the housing stock
- emerging mismatch between household size and dwelling type/size
- pockets of housing stress and a growing need for more affordable housing
- significant constraints are a major barrier to development (flooding, bushfire risk, aircraft noise impacts, biodiversity/vegetation, heritage considerations).
Key recommendations of the Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy include:
- focus on new housing growth in urban release areas and encourage some smaller dwellings in these areas to increase housing diversity
- maximise the potential of existing urban lands
- increase the supply of smaller dwellings in both established and new areas
- continue to expand affordable housing options and further enhance Council’s existing Affordable Housing Policy, including Council’s involvement with the preparation of the Western City Affordable Housing Strategy
- maintain a long term supply of residential land by investigating potential new urban areas
- develop a program to monitor housing land supply and housing delivery
- address homelessness through continued implementation and updates to Homelessness Action Plan
- consideration of the provision of Detached Dual Occupancies and Secondary Dwellings through a place based approach that considers the recommendations of the Hawkesbury Rural Lands Strategy.
If you would like to make a submission, please quote Reference: Draft Hawkesbury Local Housing Strategy. Submissions may be made in writing, addressed to the General Manager, Hawkesbury City Council, PO Box 146, Windsor NSW 2756, or by email to email@example.com or by completing an online submission via Your Hawkesbury Your Say up to close of business on Monday, 12 October 2020. Council will consider all submissions received at a subsequent Council Meeting.
Should you have any enquiries with respect to this matter, please contact Andrew Kearns, Manager Strategic Planning on (02) 4560 4444 or email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Page ID: 162228