Upper Colo Reserve
Please note the Reserve is fully booked on the following dates:
- 2-3 October 2020
- 9-10 October 2020
In the event that the reserve needs to be closed due to COVID -19 or any factors you will be advised and a refund will be processed.
The following guidelines are in place to protect visitors and manage booking numbers to enable physical distancing.
- Only the people booked can stay. Additional people will not be allowed on arrival.
- You are responsible for maintaining contact details of your guests.
By proceeding you understand and agree that:
- You have read information about the campground and determined its suitability for you.
- You agree to bring your own cleaning supplies, sanitation products and plenty of water as water supply cannot be guaranteed.
- You will follow physical distancing and public gathering rules. Latest rules are available on the NSW government website.
- If you are unwell, stay at home.
Campsites will be maintained to general standards. Council cannot guarantee that surfaces and touch-points are sterilised
Please note bookings are essential
The Upper Colo Camping / Recreation Reserve is situated beside the Colo River and covers 13.8 hectares, two-thirds is native bushland that adjoins the Wollemi National Park. Colo Wilderness has been identified as one of the 20 real wilderness areas remaining in South East Australia.
The reserve offers a wilderness camping experience with great access to the Colo River. It is ideal for families and those that want to enjoy nature. Other features include:
- Please report to the Ranger prior to setting up your camp site.
- The Reserve caters for 150 people per night only.
- The Reserve is isolated but easily accessible by private vehicle and is surrounded by Wollemi National Park.
- No Mobile or Wireless connection is available at the campground.
- The road is a narrow winding gravel road that is not suitable for caravans.
- There are large cleared areas suitable for camping.
- A rainwater tank has been provided, but it is suggested that campers bring their own drinking water.
- An amenities block provides both men's and ladies toilets and showers. Please note that the showers are cold bore water only.
- Dogs and horses can be taken to the reserve. Dogs must be registered under the Companion Animals Register and kept on a leash. Horses must be yarded.
- There are no powered sites.
- No firewood is to be collected from the Reserve or the National Park. Please bring your own firewood.
- No generators or chainsaws are permitted.
- The Upper Colo Reserve is a family friendly camping ground and therefore it is not an appropriate venue for bucks/hens parties, 21st birthday parties or other functions of this nature.
- Campers should not attend the Reserve without transport. Transport to and from the Reserve is essential in case of emergency evacuation.
- Children under the age of 18 must be supervised by an adult whilst at the Reserve.
Please respect the reserve and its wildlife as we would like to keep it for future generations The motto for the Colo Wilderness area is "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints"
The Reserve is open all year round. Gates are locked between 8pm and 8am during day light saving months and between 6pm and 8am during the autumn/winter months. Day trippers are welcome. The Upper Colo Reserve is isolated and surrounded by bushland, and thus in times of extreme weather conditions/fire the Reserve may be closed. If you are unsure if this will apply on the dates you are camping please contact Council on (02) 4560 4444 (between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday), before leaving home or The Rural Fire Service on (02) 4575 1601 or check the website outside office hours.
In the event of a total Fire Ban
- There are to be NO fires lit at the Upper Colo reserve.
- NO cooking facility with an open flame can be used...this includes gas BBQ's.
- The Council electric BBQ can be used for cooking.
Address: Hulbert Road, Upper Colo NSW 2756
Turn right off Upper Colo Road into Colo Heights Road, cross over the wooden bridge then turn left at the Telstra Tower into Hulbert Road then veer left at the "Y" intersection to enter the Upper Colo Reserve.
If the roadway at the low level bridge at Upper Colo is flooded there is an alternate route into the Reserve.
Page ID: 23284