Complying Development Certificates

This is a fast-track approval process for straightforward residential, commercial and industrial development. As complying development involves larger building projects than exempt development ‘sign off’ by a building professional (known as a certifying authority) is needed.

A complying development proposal is required to fully meet specific development standards and requirements. Either Council or accredited certifier can determine a Complying Development Certificate application without the need for a full development application. For more information on Complying Development Certificates see Complying Development.

Before lodging, ensure you have the required plans and documents.

Once you have all your documents ready you can lodge your application with Council through:

  • NSW Planning Portal – This is an online portal facilitated by the NSW Government where you can submit your DA to Council online. You will first need to create an account on the Portal as an applicant. For information on how to register for, and use the planning portal, see the NSW Planning Portal Quick Reference Guides.

NSW Planning Portal Note

To register for a NSW Planning Portal account, go to the NSW Planning Portal Home Page and select My Account. See the Quick Reference Guides for step by step instructions on the registration process.

Once you have an account you will be able to lodge the development application though the portal:

  • The quick reference guide will provide instruction on creating a new development application and will require you to upload your application documents. You will need to upload your application form and DA checklist in addition to the plans and documents prepared for your application.
  • Council will then review the submitted application for completeness.
  • You will then be contacted via the portal and notified of one of the following:
  1. Your application is not yet complete and additional information is required.


  2. Council has accepted your application and fees can now be paid.

Once the fees have been paid, the application is then considered to be lodged with Council.

Page ID: 161792

Dark mode
High contrast