Unlawful Works

Where building works have been carried out without first getting planning and construction approval, the landowner will need to seek development consent for the ongoing use of that building.

It is important to understand that submitting a development application for unlawful works, does not necessarily guarantee approval of the works as the development is still required to comply with the relevant planning controls. It is recommended that you seek development advice prior to lodging any application. For more information see Council’s Development Advisory Services.

If you decide to lodge an application, Council has prepared a DA Checklist  to assist in the preparation of development applications for unlawful works. As the checklist specifies, a Building Information Certificate application must also be lodged with Council at the same time as a development application for the unlawful building works.

Page ID: 161046

Dark mode
High contrast