Special Event and Cleanup Services
Kerbside Bulk Waste Household Clean-up Service
All Hawkesbury City Council residents who receive the domestic waste collection service provided by Council, can now book one Kerbside Bulk Waste Household Clean-up Service each financial year.
Presented material must not exceed 1.5m3 (1.5m x 1m x 1m or one trailer load) of waste.
Before you Book
Before booking, please check the accepted materials and waste presentation guidelines.
Please also visit the Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility page to see what items you can take here instead for free.
Bookings are essential. To book, call Council’s contractor Cleanaway on 1300 889 527.
The following materials can be put out for kerbside collection:
- Metal Appliances and White Goods: (e.g. Fridges, Dryers, Washing machines, Ovens, Microwaves, Toasters, Kettles, Bikes, and other similar items)
- Household furniture
- Mattresses (at a cost)
- Branches and garden organics (tied into bundles)
- Timber (not exceeding 1.5m in length and 10cm in diameter)
Mattress collection is available at a fee in urban areas and rural areas.
This service will be paid directly to the contractor by the customer via credit card at time of booking the service.
Materials NOT Accepted
The following materials can’t be put out for kerbside collection:
- Liquid or hazardous waste (paints, oils, sharps, gas bottles etc.)
- Construction / demolition waste (concrete, bricks, etc.)
- Soil and sand
- Tree stumps and trunks
- Car parts or batteries
- Items longer than 2m in length
- Glass / Panes of glass
Please follow the below guidelines to ensure your materials are collected. If these guidelines are not met, your material may not be collected and you will have to make your own arrangements.
Residents who place materials on the kerb more than 24 hours prior to booked collection may incur an illegal dumping fine of up to $5000.
Guidelines for presenting material to the kerb for clean-up include:
- Do not place items out that are not accepted by this service – they will not be collected and you may incur a fine
- Place materials on the kerb the night before your booked collection date
- Stack material neatly in front of your own property
- Material must not exceed the 1.5m3 (one and a half cubic metres) area limit (1.5m x 1m x 1m or one trailer load) of waste
- Do not have materials placed in a manner that obstructs foot paths
- Material must be able to be handled safely by two people
- Branches and garden organics should be tied in buddles
- Loose garden organics such as grass clippings need to be boxed / bagged
- Timber must not exceed 1.5m in length and 10cm in diameter
- Items longer than 2m in length are not accepted
Kerbside Bulk Waste Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why has my bulk waste not been collected?
If your bulk waste has still not been collected one week past your confirmed collection date, please first check your bulk waste met the presentation guidelines.
If your bulk waste does meet the presentation guidelines, contact Council on (02) 4560 444.
If your bulk waste does not meet the presentation guidelines, please remove it as soon as possible and make alternative disposal arrangements.
Why weren’t all of my bulk waste items collected?
There are a few reasons some items may not have been collected including:
- The items were not suitable for collection. Please review the ‘Materials not accepted’ section to check whether the items are listed there
- The presented material exceeded the 1.5m3 (one and a half cubic metres) limit, which is roughly the equivalent of one trailer load of waste. Extra material outside of this limit will not be collected
- Some items were not easily accessible to staff – obstructions such as vehicles prevented staff from safely accessing the material
- An item was too heavy
What do I do with items not listed as acceptable for the Kerbside Bulk Waste Clean-up?
If you have other items not covered by the Kerbside Bulk Waste Clean-up, please refer to the below links:
- For items you can take for free and for a cost to the Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility, refer to the Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility page
- For household chemicals, click the ‘Household Chemical CleanOut’ tab heading at the top of this page.
- For other waste and recycling options refer to Other Waste and Recycling Options page
- For reuse or repair options, visit the Reuse and Repair Online Directory page
Can I cancel or change my Kerbside Bulk Waste Clean-up booking?
Call Council’s contractor Cleanaway on 1300 889 527.
I have already used my Kerbside Bulk Waste Clean-up, can I book another one?
Yes, however you will have to pay for any additional clean-ups.
A reminder – Hawkesbury City Council residents who receive the domestic waste collection service provided by Council are entitled to one Kerbside Household Clean-up Service each financial year.
Household Chemical CleanOut
You can safely dispose of any potentially hazardous household chemicals at Household Chemical CleanOut events. These events are free services held across NSW on specific dates.
Hawkesbury City Council's free annual Chemical CleanOut was held on Sunday, 31 July, 2022.
If you were unable to attend this event you can still attend other Chemical CleanOut events across Greater Sydney. To check if a Chemical CleanOut Event is open to all Greater Sydney residents and to see upcoming dates visit the NSW EPA’s website.
Alternatively, check if your problem waste is accepted at the Hawkesbury Community Recycling Centre, details are listed below.
Only household quantities of the following items will be accepted – (twenty) 20 litres or (twenty) 20 kilograms per waste item.
You can take the following items to a Household Chemical CleanOut:
- Acids and alkalis
- Ammonia-based cleaners
- Car and household batteries
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor care products
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
- Gas bottles
- Hobby Chemicals
- Motor fuels
- Motor oils and cooking oils
- Paint and paint-related products
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Pool Chemicals
- Smoke detectors
- Solvents and household cleaners
For more information please visit the NSW EPA’s website.
Chemical Disposal for Commercial Operators
Please note commercial quantities of chemical waste is not accepted. Businesses should contact an appropriate waste disposal service directly. A useful source for searching companies and drop-off locations for businesses is available on Planet Ark’s Business Recycling Information Service.
Cleanaway accepts a number of liquids and hazardous waste from the industrial and manufacturing sector. Disposal prices are dependent on the service and location.
For further service information and to search Cleanaway locations and the waste you can take there, visit Cleanaway’s website.
Community Recycling Centre
You can only dispose of specific household problem wastes at Hawkesbury’s Community Recycling Centre, accepted items include:
- Gas Bottles
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluro Globes and Tubes
- Car and Household Batteries
- Motor and Other Oils
- Smoke Detectors
- Computers and Televisions
- Cardboard and Paper
Please note only household quantities of these items will be accepted – maximum container size of twenty (20) litres or twenty (20) kilograms.
For more information about the Community Recycling Centre and what you can take here, please refer to the Hawkesbury City Waste Management Facility.
Page ID: 157051