Approvals You Need

A development application is a formal request for development that requires consent from Council. Most development in the Hawkesbury Area requires consent, however there are three main approval pathways to consider:

Exempt Development

Planning and construction approval is not required for many minor renovations and low-impact works. Where your project can meet strict development standards and requirements, Council approval would not be needed.

For more information, see exempt development or the NSW Planning Portal.

Complying Development

This is a fast-track approval process for straightforward residential, commercial and industrial development. As complying development involves larger building projects than exempt development ‘sign off’ by a building professional (known as a certifying authority) is needed. A complying development proposal is required to fully meet specific development standards and requirements.

For more information, see complying development or the NSW Planning Portal.

Development Application and Construction Certificate

Where a proposed development does not meet the requirements for exempt or complying development, or where a Local Environmental Plans or State Environmental Planning Policy states that development consent is required before a development can take place, a Development Application is required to be submitted to Council for planning approval.

Once planning approval is issued, construction approval is then required in the form of a Construction Certificate. A Construction Certificate must be obtained before any works can take place.

For more information on the Development Application process, see Making a Development Application.

Page ID: 160981

Dark mode
High contrast