Helping Learner Drivers Become Safer Drivers
Younger and novice drivers face a higher risk of being involved in a crash. In the Hawkesbury LGA from 2017 – 2021 young drivers aged 25 years and younger made up approximately 28% of vehicle crashes.
There are a number of programs available to develop safer learner drivers, including:
Safer Drivers Course
Designed to help learner drivers to identify risks on the road and learn strategies for speed management, hazard awareness and safe following distances. Each learner driver earns 20 hours of log book credit on completion of the course.
For further information visit Safer Drivers Course
Driver Licensing Access Program
A program that provides targeted assistance to people that may have difficulty meeting the requirements to get a driver licence.
The program is delivered by service providers and can assist to
- Get a learner licence
- Gain on-road driving experience
- Progress to a provisional licence
- Regain a licence
The program targets the following groups of people:
- Aboriginal communities
- Refugee and resettlement communities
- Communities who have limited access to transport options or who are geographically disadvantaged
- Vulnerable young people
- Other social and economic hardship.
For further information or to contact your nearest Driver Licensing Access Provider visit Driver Licensing Access Program
An Australian Government-funded program providing learner drivers and their parents/supervisors a free driving lesson with a Keys2drive accredited professional driving instructor. For further information or to book visit Keys2drive
Free online workshops for parents and supervisors of learner drivers
Council will deliver online workshops to offer practical advice on how to help learner drivers become safer drivers. The workshops cover:
- The Graduated Licensing Scheme and current laws of L and P licence holders
- How to complete the learner driver log book and app
- The benefits of supervised driving sessions
- Giving learner drivers constructive feedback
Council's next online workshop will be held on Thursday, 16 March 2023 from 6pm- 7:30pm. To register click here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/supervisor-of-learner-drivers-workshop-tickets-475999877447
Page ID: 216113