Sewer Services – 24hr Maintenance
Windsor Sewerage Scheme
Shouldn’t I Just Ring a Plumber?
Your Responsibilities and Ours
Prevent Stormwater infiltration
Keeping Tree Roots out of Sewer Lines
24-Hour Service - Telephone (02) 4560 4444
- Customers Name, Address and Contact details. Time and date of incident. Are they at home?
- Do you know where the property inspection shaft (I.O) is?
- Is the sewer surcharging, bubbling out of the Gully, I.O. (inspection shaft) or sewer access chamber (manhole).
NOTE: - If sewer is surcharging from either the I.O. or Access Chamber (manhole) arrange for H.C.C response team to attend A.S.A.P
- If the surcharge is from the Gully, the grated pipe is usually located adjacent to the dwelling or the house services are backing up, toilets etc. ask the customer if they know where the I.O. (inspection shaft) is located.
The I.O. is usually a 150mm Dia. PVC or Metal screw down cap located near the property boundary. If the answer to the location of the I.O. is YES ask the customer to inspect this for any signs of water leaking. If there aren’t any visible signs of leakage, ask if they can loosen the screws to see if there is any sign of water holding.
IF THE I.O. SHAFT IS EMPTY, not holding water, OR the I.O. is not locatable this would be deemed as an “INTERNAL PROBLEM”. Inform the customer they will need to contract a licensed plumber/drainer to resolve the problem.
- If the H.C.C Response Team is required to attend. Ask the customer is access readily available, if no-one is at home. Also advise the customer ALL pets will need to be secured and kept away from where the team will be working.
- Odour Complaints, sewer smells inside the dwelling - Ask the customer to check all the water traps, toilets, sinks and floor wastes are holding water. This can be managed by flushing the toilets, running water in all the sinks and tubs, checking the floor wastes by filling a bucket with water and pouring the water into the floor waste. It may also help to add some disinfectant with the water.
Ask the customer to ring back if this does not alleviate the odour after allowing reasonable time to air the rooms. For odours outside of the dwelling ask the customer to check for signs of sewer surcharges/overflows.
Page ID: 165839